Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ch-ch-chi-chia

About a year ago I became fascinated with flax seeds. It seemed like such a simple idea, to add this little seed to so many recipes and enhance the nutritional value. So simple, right?

For anyone unfamiliar with the flax seed, it boasts many nutritional benefits. The primary three are:
Omega-3 essential fatty acids - "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy benefits
Lignans - contain both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities, which may contribute to protection against cancer and heart disease
Fiber - contains both the soluble and insoluble types
All that packed in one little seed and that's just the primary benefits.

Just as I was about to run to the store to buy infinite pounds of flax seed, I read that you need to grind them right before use for maximum benefit. What? Yes, I am seriously just that lazy. Totally deflated me. I wanted that easy solution. Something to just toss in and enhance my health.

That's when I found my new best friend, the chia seed. Yes, it is the same seed found in packets with ceramic heads known for the catchy theme song. If only we had known back then how beneficial they were to consume instead of turning them into vegetation hair.

The more that I researched chia seeds, the more excited I became. These seeds are also rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber. In addition, they pack 18% of your daily calcium value per ounce. I am always looking for ways to increase my calcium intake. Unlike the flax seed, they can easily be digested whole. This is my answer, something to just throw in to enhance my recipes.

I've been using chia seeds for about a year now and I don't have anything negative to say about them. I add them to bake goods and smoothies. My sons eat them without being the wiser. I love these little seeds so much, I don't even hesitate in agreeing that they are a "superfood". My favorite definition of a superfood is a food that packs a huge amount of nutrients, but contains very few calories. These definitely are a superfood!

I plan to try additional recipes, specifically chia pudding, in the near future. I'll let you know how that goes!

Nutritional information obtained from www.WebMD.com and www.doctoroz.com
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment