Saturday, March 2, 2013

My not so green thumb

It's finally March! I know that everyone has had enough of winter. I woke up this morning in disbelief of the amount of snow that fell last night. Although it doesn't feel like it, I've heard that this is the time of the year that you need to start thinking about, and even planting, your garden.

I've never had a green thumb. I don't even know what the opposite would be...black? Anyway, that's the color of my thumb. Every plant that enters my house dies pretty quickly, not matter how hardy it is. I've had friends and family members share bountiful plants from their yards and all of these lovely gifts have lived a short life once in my possession.

Regardless of my past, I can't help but want to try a garden. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I know that I would love to teach my kids about where their food comes from. If I'm unsuccessful, maybe I can teach them the circle of life.

My yard is incredibly small and I know that I'll have to get creative to make it worthwhile. I've looked at container gardens, which is the direction that I am leaning. I've also considered vertical gardens and overhauling our flower beds into small traditional garden. Any advice in this area is greatly appreciated!

I am the first to admit that I don't have a clue what I am doing. I've been researching and trying to figure out when I need to plant what. I found a handy guide on Pinterest. Although it doesn't encompass everything that I plan to grow, it is a good start.

I hope that I will be able to post pictures of my healthy, growing garden. Most likely I will be posting pictures of sad, empty dirt. Good thing I just purchased our CSA share for 2013!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment